A few notes before you fill out the online application:
- Please fill out the application THOROUGHLY. Every response must be filled out. Incomplete applications are rejected and we don't want you to waste your time needlessly.
Are you a former adopter? If so, you do not need to re-apply if you have adopted within the last year. You are automatically approved to adopt. However, just contact us and let us know if anything has changed with your address, etc. so that we can update our database.
If you apply and then obtain a dog elsewhere, please be sure to let us know. We invest a lot of time and resources into processing each application, and our time is best spent processing applications submitted by those who are very serious about adopting. Thanks for understanding.
The link to the adoption application appears at the bottom of this page. Before you apply, please be sure you've reviewed the Adoption Process and Policies.
Please do not apply if:
- You do not live in Wisconsin or in the U.P. of Michigan. We just do not have the resources to be able to place dogs in other states.
- You don't meet the requirements listed on the Adoption Page. We are seldom able to make exceptions, so please be sure you meet our requirements for adoption.
- You want a dog today. Once you have met a dog and the adoption process is moving forward, we do our best to make sure your new dog joins your family as quickly as possibly. But it doesn't happen in a day.
- You have animals at home that are not spayed/neutered and/or not up to date on vaccinations, annual exams, annual fecals, etc. This includes cats! As part of the adoption process, we are required to call your veterinarian and make sure that all of your past and current animals are spayed/neutered and fully vaccinated. Having a puppy does not render you exempt from this policy. Most veterinarians will perform spays/neuters at 10-12 weeks of age. If you prefer to wait until your puppy is six months of age to spay/neuter, please wait until then to apply. Thanks for understanding.
- You want a puppy. It is very rare for us to have puppies in rescue. Puppies are a hot commodity and seldom need rescuing. Most of our dogs are in the age range of three years on average. The more flexible you can be, the more likely that we can match you with a wonderful new companion.
- You aren't too keen on making a drive to meet a dog. (If you are physically disabled and can't drive, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.) Typically you only need to make one trip to meet a dog and we will share the burden by making a trip also. As volunteers we put thousands of extra miles on our cars each year. We hope you won't mind doing a little driving if it means finding a wonderful new family member.
Be sure to fill out the application as thoroughly as possible. We cannot accept applications with missing phone numbers, etc.
If you end up purchasing a puppy after your application is accepted, please be sure to contact us and let us know so that we can remove your application from our files. Remember, we have invested a lot of time and resources in processing your application.
**PLEASE NOTE*** If you have children under the age of 6, you may be required to make an extra trip in order to spend an adequate amount of time with the dog.
Now that you've thought it through and are ready to proceed: submit an application online. You will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours in most cases. We look forward to working with you on an adoption! If you have any follow-up questions regarding your application, feel free to send them to [email protected].